Cuvée Catharine Brut
Gold Winner at the 2012 Wine Access Canadian Wine Awards
Gold Winner (Sparkling Wine) at the 2010 All Canadian Wine Championship Awards
91 Points – Rick VanSickle, November 2012
Named in memory of Henry’s wife, widow and family matriarch, Catharine Smith. Clonal selection and the use of traditional grape varieties (Chardonnay & Pinot Noir) makes this wine a modern Niagara expression of a time honoured wine style. The secondary fermentation is done in bottle and this wine is aged for approximately 30+ months on the lees before disgorging.
• Made from the blending of 70-80% Chardonnay with 20-30% Pinot Noir
• Hand picked and bunch selected. Gently whole cluster pressed
• A small percentage of the Chardonnay is barrel fermented
• Secondary fermentation in bottle followed by a further 30+ months aging on the lees
Salmon caviar with sour cream; Malpeque oysters with a hint of lemon. Or add 1oz of Riesling Icewine or 1oz of Cabernet Franc Icewine to 3oz of Cuvée Catharine to make a Kir Catharine or a Blushing Kir Catharine respectively.
- Varietal: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir
- Geographic Designation: VQA Niagara Peninsula
- Alcohol Percentage: 12.0